Training Sessions a Month
Email Newsletters a Year
days a week
Advice and support
- We are here to advise about law and procedure – and any other issues as far as we are able.
- We publish good practice guides on many subjects to help Local Councils. NALC also publishes legal topic notes on a great many subjects.
- Free access to NALC’s legal team for specialist advice, which is not available elsewhere. Larger councils have direct access, smaller councils go through CALC.
- Christopher, our Executive Officer or Caroline, our administrator, gives one to one support where required
- We have developed ‘The Clerk’s Companion’ and the Councillors Companion, the simplest possible guides to the clerk’s and Councillors responsibilities.
- We send a fortnightly newsletter to all member councils containing up to date information, local news, events and vacancies, and national information from NALC.
- We provide programmes of training for Councillors and Clerks, employing specialist trainers to ensure the best quality training is given.
- Clerks of member councils who are studying for the Certificate in Local Council Administration are invited to attend CiLCA support group meetings. We give guidance on and mentoring through the process via our trainer Gill Lungley FSLCC feel free to email Gill about any enquiries email@example.com
- We provide the nationally agreed training module for councils adopting the General Power of Competence
- We hold networking meetings for clerks, usually inviting a guest speaker on a topical subject
Governance and representation
- Each member council is invited to send delegates to one of the four area meetings. These meet quarterly, and usually invite a guest speaker. Any council can have items which concern them included in the agenda. Area meetings appoint members to the Executive Committee and to external organisations. Larger councils can attend these meeting but also directly appoint a representative to the Executive Committee
- The Executive Committee meets quarterly and oversees the management of the Association. It agrees the annual budget and sets the subscription level.
- A member of the Executive Committee is appointed to serve on the NALC national council, and the committee also sends representatives to the NALC AGM.
- NALC is based in London and represents parish and town councils to Government.